Saturday, July 30, 2016




On Friday morning, I was unable to doing Physical Education with the learners, due to the rain.  I first observed a 5th grade geography lesson by Coleen Owens.  I loved being able to show the students where Jacksonville, North Carolina was on the map compared to Port Elizabeth, South Africa.  Next, I traveled to a math class where Charlotte Johnson was teaching fractions.  I like being in different classrooms and observing different lessons.  I don’t often get that chance back in the States.  In the math class, I worked one on one with a student who was having difficulties with the lesson on adding fractions.  We worked in a corner with a small white board.  I spent most of the class going other each problem one at a time, hoping I was making a difference.  The classes at Emafini are crowded.  In these two fifth grade classes there are 45 students.  I have been in other classes that have 50.  Mr. McKay, the principal told me that they do not send students away.  He has had to ask parents to supply a desk and chair in order for them to have someplace to sit.  Besides the physical space issue, there is no way for one teacher to give individual help in a class that large.  Students are falling behind with not a chance of catching back up.  Despite these issues, the teachers are doing their best and the students are happy to be there.  In South Africa, there is a big value placed on education. This experience today had an impact of me. It has made me want to do more.  It has also validated my choice to be a teacher.  Teachers love to teach, of course, but they also love to learn!  This country, the school, the people and my colleagues sharing this experience, have taught me a lot.  And if it takes doing it one student at a time, then that’s what I will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment