Wednesday, July 27, 2016

It was my most personally rewarding day since I arrived in S. Africa – I got to teach at Emafini.  After 2 days of observing other classrooms, I was given the opportunity to work with the students teaching Chinese jump rope. There are some things that are universal and one is that children love to move and play. I had already seen the children both here and at Lovelife Center jumping rope. Their eyes lit up as they discovered a new way of jumping.  I worked with 3 sixth grade classes teaching the routines – Americans and Chinese.  They impressed me with their quick learning.  In the afternoon, I did the “Hokey Pokey” and then introduced the Chinese jump rope to 2 first grade classes.  I believe that playing games and sports is a way for people especially children to make cultural connections. Differences don’t matter when children are playing.  The smiles on their faces and the laughter was music to my ears.


No comments:

Post a Comment